Tuesday, November 2, 2010

How Long?

How long really is long enough when it comes to doping bans in pro cycling? If the continued abuse of doping is any indication, the current term of 2 years, while certainly daunting, really doesn't seem to have a huge effect.

McQuaid is pushing for 4 years. Is that enough? Some say yes, others no. I've spoken to several people that think individual bans will NEVER be long enough. Rather, it needs to be a combination of individual AND team bans/fines. I see the logic here (teams will be more likely to self-police their riders if they have more at stake) but frankly, I'm not sure if it will really make the desired impact, especially if the team is already involved as has been claimed in many cases.

What about lifetime bans? Seems pretty harsh, right? I bet it would cut WAY back on offenses though, especially when guys like Contador threaten to retire anyway!

In the end, I always come back to one thing. Doping (i.e. cheating) is inevitable. No matter how harsh the fine or consequences there will be those that are willing to take the risk.

I bet, before long, California will lobby to legalize it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment